Generic Requirements for Optical Fiber and Optical Fiber Cable
Document Number GR-20
Issue Number 04
Issue Date Jul 2013
Replaces TA-NWT-000020 Issue09
ABSTRACT: This Generic Requirements document (GR) sets forth proposed generic requirements and characteristics of single-mode and multimode
optical fibers, optical fiber ribbons, and optical fiber cables for Outside Plant (OSP) use. The requirements are based on National and
International accepted industry standards and specifications, Telecommunications Service Providers' (TSPs) needs and deployment
environments, and the optical fiber and cable manufacturers' view of industry-required criteria.
This GR includes proposed functional design criteria, generic mechanical and optical performance requirements, and desired features,
and specifies test methods for comparing the fiber, ribbon, or cable product against the stated generic requirements.
GR-20 is also intended to specify sampling criteria and test methodology information for Independent Testing Laboratories (ITLs) to
provide consistent and repeatable results for optical fiber, ribbon, and cable test programs. This testing information is for ITL
testing only, and is not sufficient for production testing for manufacturer quality control testing that requires many more test
samples to achieve the desired statistical significance.
Issue 4 of GR-20 includes the following updates:
- Single-fiber spliceability criteria have been modified to specify mean and maximum values, and the use of a v-groove alignment
splicer for test, and to address splicing of dissimilar fibers.
- Ribbon fiber spliceability criteria have been modified to specify values.
- The role of ITU-T G.657.B2/B3 fiber has been clarified.
- Fungus resistance criteria have been clarified.
- Water penetration criteria have been modified.
- The buffer tube kink test has been included.
- Mid-span access requirements have been updated.
- Supporting information for Sections 4 through 6, which was included in Appendixes A through C of Issue 3, has been moved into the
main body of the document.
Issue 4 of GR-20-CORE, Generic Requirements for Optical Fiber and Optical Fiber Cable, replaces Issue 3.
GR-20 replaced TA-NWT-000020, TR-NWT-000020, TR-TSY-000944, and TR-626-23343-84-2.
When using GR-20, you may need to refer to GR-253, GR-409, GR-2961, SR-2014, TR-NWT-001121, and
TR-TSY-000843, as well as various ASTM, IEC, ITU-T, ICEA and TIA standards.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents