Generic Requirements for Indoor Fiber Optic Cable
Document Number GR-409
Issue Number 02
Issue Date Nov 2008
Replaces TR-NWT-000409 Issue02
ABSTRACT: GR-409 sets forth proposed generic technical requirements and characteristics of single-mode and multimode optical fibers, optical
fiber ribbons, and optical fiber cables for indoor plant use. The requirements are based on National and International accepted
industry standards and specifications, communications service providers' needs and deployment environments, and the optical fiber and
cable manufacturers' view of industry required criteria.
This document includes proposed functional design criteria, generic mechanical and optical performance requirements, and desired
features. It specifies test methods for comparing the fiber, ribbon, or cable product against the stated generic requirements. The
specified test methods are intended to provide a consistent and repeatable methodology that reflects the operational conditions for
optical fiber, ribbon, and cable analysis.
GR-409 is also intended to specify sampling criteria and test methodology information for Independent Test Laboratories (ITLs) to
provide consistent and repeatable results for optical fiber, ribbon, and cable test programs. This testing information is for ITL
testing only, and is not sufficient for production testing for manufacturer quality control testing that requires many more test
samples to achieve the desired statistical significance.
Issue 2 reflects the following:
This GR also includes an Issues LIst Report (ILR) that details open technical issues in the main document. ILR(s) are automatically
sent free of charge to the GR document purchaser.
- Requirements call out and reference recognized National or International Standards where the actual criteria value is published
by an industry-recognized standards body
- Test procedures call out and reference National Standards in the main body of the document
- Sample size information has been added for each of the requirements where specific ITL product testing is called for
- Reference is made to GR-20 for most fiber and fiber ribbon specifications
- New single-mode fiber types have been added for optical requirements
- Multimode fiber requirements have been expanded
- The Fiber Cleavability requirement has been eliminated
- Section 5 has been modified to include buffered fibers
- Fiber fusability and cleavability requirements for ribbon have been eliminated
- The cable type designations have been reorganized and restated to align with the National standards, resulting in some new cable
- Information on cable jacket materials has been expanded to include new materials
- A new appendix has been added to provide a list of deleted requirements.
When using GR-409, you may need to refer to GR-20, and GR-326. You may also need to refer to various standards documents.
This document replaces TA-NWT-000409, and TR-NWT-000409.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents