Telcordia Valve-Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA) Battery String Certification Levels Based on Requirements for Safety and Performance
Document Number GR-4228
Issue Number 03
Issue Date Jul 2023
Replaces SR-4228 Issue01
ABSTRACT: p>This Generic Requirements document (GR) presents generic criteria for Valve-Regulated Lead-Acid Batteries (VRLAs) that are intended
to function seamlessly with DC power plants and provide reliable backup power to load equipment located in a network environment of a
typical telecommunications service provider. VRLA batteries compliant with the criteria in this document are recommended for deployment
in Central Offices and Data Centers, and the Outside Plant (OSP) at locations such as Controlled Environmental Vaults (CEVs),
Electronic Equipment Enclosures (EEEs), and huts, and in uncontrolled structures such as cabinets.
GR-4228 is designed to:
- Simplify the complexities associated with product introduction, qualification, and deployment by providing a common framework
for evaluating and qualifying various VRLAs. The framework is a three-level compliance system that qualifies VRLAs according to general
product, safety, performance, and service life generic criteria.
- Help ensure robust battery design and manufacturing early in the product's life cycle.
- Provide functional design and technical guidelines for VRLAs.
- Present rationale for determining VRLA service life.
- Provide a comprehensive set of generic requirements for VRLA batteries, which includes traditional NEBS testing, battery safety
requirements, battery performance parameters, and life testing.
Proper safety precautions shall be followed for all tests conducted. Use of these test procedures is solely at the user's risk.
GR-4228-CORE, Issue 3 includes a new objective by the US Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration
(OSHA) Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) in the Electrical Safety section.
GR-4228 Issue 3, replaces GR-4228, Issue 2.
When using GR-4228, you may want to refer to GR-63, and GR-3108.
Components of this product are: