Enabling and Ensuring QoS in the Future Broadband Home Network
Document Number SR-5305
Issue Number 01
Issue Date Nov 2008
ABSTRACT: This SR is a must-have for those wanting to understand the many facets of providing and assuring QoS for multimedia services through
broadband home networks. Practical guidance is provided throughout.
Providing and ensuring QoS in home networks allows:
- New revenues from new multimedia services, devices, and software
- A seamless IP-platform to supply broadcast-quality video and carrier-grade telephony as well as new Internet-enabled
- Lowered maintenance costs and increased customer satisfaction.
- Enables service providers, equipment and software vendors, and consumer electronics companies to develop services and products
for future broadband home networks
- Shows how-to configure home networks to enable QoS, as well as how-to measure and assure QoS for ongoing services
- Presents and contrasts distributed priority-based and centralized parameter-based QoS methodologies on IP and Ethernet
- Provides details of implementing QoS with home networking technologies such as WiFi, MoCA, HomePNA, HomePlug,
CableHome®, DLNA/UPnP, etc.
- Shows architectures enabling automated service assurance through the home network, via remote management standards, and with
PC-based software tools
- Defines important QoS and QoE metrics for different services.