Telcordia Notes on IP Centrex...FREE
Document Number SR-NOTES-SERIES-11
Issue Number 01
Issue Date Oct 2001
ABSTRACT: This release of the popular Telcordia Notes on . . . series, Telcordia Notes on IP Centrex, discusses IP Centrex from the network
architecture, deployment, and marketing perspectives.
IP Centrex is a network-based service that uses VOIP in the enterprises LAN and on the broadband access facility to the service
provider's network. IP Centrex can provide a number of new capabilities and benefits for enterprise customers and their service
Readers will learn:
This SR is intended for three types of readers:
- the two major architectural approaches for offering IP Centrex, including the network equipment and Customer Premises Equipment
(CPE) required for each approach
- the benefits and applications that IP Centrex customers can enjoy
- the advantages IP Centrex offers to service providers
- the technical hurdles that equipment suppliers and service providers must address before IP Centrex service can be offered
- how IP Centrex and IP PBX compare to each other.
With the Notes on . . . series, Telcordia Technologies has devised a starting point for your search through the rapidly developing
world of telecommunications. Written by the authors of the successful Telcordia Notes on the Network document SR-2275, this series
similarly contains technical material of interest to engineering and planning groups, as well as descriptions of the characteristics
and background of these subjects in layman's terms. The difference is that Telcordia Notes on . . . zeros in on one technology in each
document and breaks it down into manageable terms. From the history, background, and basic elements through a discussion of what the
future may bring, our subject matter experts cover the important aspects in as few words as possible.
- Enterprise customers currently using conventional Centrex or conventional PBX's. The information in this SR can help customers
in their discussions with potential service providers or PBX suppliers. (Note the SR does not discuss the capabilities of any
particular PBX model or Centrex offering.)
- Service providers, including Local Exchange Carriers and Application Service Providers. The information in this SR can help service
providers better evaluate various alternatives as they formulate IP Centrex plans.
- Suppliers of IP Centrex network equipment or CPE. The information in this SR can help equipment suppliers better understand the
challenges that their service provider customers are facing.